Hogsback Masthead

The Story of Hogsback

by Trevor Webster

Book Cover

The 2nd Edition of The Story of Hogsback was launched in 2016, after the 1st Edition was sold out. In his book Trevor Webster has written a short, popular history of Hogsback, abounding with local stories and photographs, many taken by Ken Harvey.

There is something for everybody in this account of Hogsback; the past speaks to the present through pictures, paintings, poems, anecdotes and facts. It captures the magical atmosphere, the extraordinary history, the beautiful Nature and the interesting people of the village of Hogsback.

Trevor's narrative puts Nature paramount and mentions the San people and the conflict between the Xhosa and colonists in the nineteenth century. Of course, the story also covers the pioneering origins of the Hogsback Village.

Handy Log Cabin Waterfall Original Chapel
Three historic landmarks at Hogsback: The Handy Log Cabin was a community gathering point at the bottom of Arminel but is no more; the natural waterfalls whose freshness and beauty amazes visitors, note the 1930s clothing worn by the walker; the original St Patrick‚Äôs Chapel built in 1935, extended in 1992, burnt down in 2010 and re-built that year. Throughout the day, passers-by visit the chapel (open all day) and its beautiful gardens and prayer trail.

Copies of The Story of Hogsback are available at most shops and hotels in Hogsback or from Trevor Webster via the Online Enquiry.

Top of this page